Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hot Babes & Steampunk...

It's been a while since I posted anything. The holidays are keeping me busy. Not the typical busyness one experiences at this time of year but the busyness of keeping the fat off my ass. See:
(Bad photoshopping, I know.)


Speaking of asses, I watched the Victoria's Secret fashion show last night. I felt it was not quite as good as last year's show. But there was one outfit in particular that caught my eye:

This look is what you call "steampunk." Don't know what that means? Neither did I a couple of months ago. Google it. Steampunk is a subculture that encapsulates the aesthetic expression of a time-traveling fantasy world, one that embraces music, film, design and now fashion, all inspired by the extravagantly inventive age of dirigibles and steam locomotives, brass diving bells and jar-shaped protosubmarines of the 19th century. (-NY Times) I'm not quite sure how into it I am but I do find it very fascinating. Here's another look from last night that has a steampunk flavor:

And, here for your viewing pleasure, some more steampunk finds from the web:

Steampunk iPod






Steampunk Guitar





Steampunk Computer





Steampunk Laptop






Steampunk Nerf Guns





Steampunk Computer Mouse





Another Steampunk Computer






Steampunk Guys



I think the style is pretty cool, but it teters on a thin line between ultra cool and 40-year-old-virgin-living-with-his-mom-and-reenacts-medival-battles-in-the-park-on-Saturday-afternoon kind of nerdy. It's an extremely risky fashion statement, but some can and have pulled it off. Will.I.Am (& The Black Eyed Peas) did a commercial in which he was dressed in steampunk fashion, at this time I can't remember the commercial but it has aired recently. (If I remember, I'll let you know.) The Black Eyed Peas also performed at the VS show last night and I did recognize some steampunk influence there, too.

I don't know. What do you think? I'm just saying, I think we might be seeing more of this style soon. You've been warned.

In the meantime, if you are interested in Steampunk fashion, check out Steampunk Emporium.

No comments:

Post a Comment